The Opera had its origin in Italy, so it is not surprising that the most famous Opera is located in Italian territory, the place where the best composers and performers are. The Opera is identified by being highly dramatic; it is defined within the musical theater genre, being staged with songs, dances and the majority of the time, with musical instruments by orchestras present at the moment of the performance.
The Opera is an art that has won many lovers and followers. On stage, it becomes a fantasy that our brain tries to unveil in time as the performances pass. Something beautiful to see and follow the exuberant compositions and songs. The artists have to make the audience feel every emotion the story tells through music.
The music in the Opera is the nucleus that generates life. It is the embellishment of a story with harmonic and cohesive compositions, achieving the fervor of this classic genre with success. It isn´t a surprise that we strongly stick to the stories, looking for similarities with real life to enhance our reality, or to live through other paths that we could never be part of.
Humans have a thirst to reach dreams, to live what has not been lived yet, and Opera performances are a consolation for our brain;a place for our disappointments and aspirations to live. Hidden feelings emerge, our deepest desires are exposed by a wave of discoveries through music. Great artists have left their mark, precisely because they reach the discovery of feelings for those who listen to them.
Some of the most famous names throughout the history of the Italian Opera that left an increasing love for the art are:
- Verdi, seeking to stage the disappointment that occupied Italy after the Unity, like the described in Don Carlos.
- Donizetti, expressing the temperament of femininity like in Lucia di Lammermoor.
- Rossini with his love for challenging female performers with compositions almost impossible to achieve.
- Bellini, a prodigy of music who composed for talented people in vocal agility with great dramatic tension.
- Puccini, identified by finding in his works great psychological depth.
The compositions of operas with the greatest reach, and that even today get appointments with crowds, are:
- LaTraviata by Giuseppe Verdi, a performance of tremendous drama based on “The lady of the Camellias” by Alejandro Dumas Jr.; it is one of the most requested works still to this day, in which the story of a woman in love and willing to sacrifice is interpreted with such emotion and passion, that people can still relate to it.
- Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini, an interpretation where the author ventures into more exotic areas such as the Far East; a story full of misery in a cruel world where romance was not valued.
- Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo, the only composition of his authorship that is still performed today,telling the story of a jealous man and his partner.And everything takes place in a comedy art company.
- Il Barbiere di Sivigliaby Gioachino Rossini, one of the first Italian operas represented in the United States of America; it is a comedy where the argument tells the adventures of a couple in love.
- Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi, a drama of passions and deceptions, filial love and revenge; like a whole telenovela interpreted musically.
The opera has given the world excellent performers who have taken their careers beyond a simple interpretation, such as:
- Carlo Maria Michelangelo Nicola Broschi, known as Farinelli, was one of the most famous castrati of the 18th century.
- MattiaBattistini an Italian baritone with an impeccable technique that gave him international fame.
- Gemma Bellincioni, a famous Italian soprano at the end of the 19th century.
- Enrico Caruso, a tenor, known as the best tenor in history with a simply extraordinary voice.
- Luciano Pavarotti, an Italian tenor, one of the most beloved contemporary opera singers.
- Cecilia Bartoli a contemporary Italian mezzo-soprano.
The music in the Opera represents art that floods many hearts around the world; penetrates the senses and sells its magic. The great musical talent that the performers bring to amazing stories makes it more valuable.It’s like going back in time and keeping the fantasy alive.
Watch Andrea Bocelli and his famous The Music of the Night performance: